Jamie Thomson

Thoughts, words and deeds

Are you paying for Windows Live Hotmail Plus? Stop!

with 13 comments

Recently I had my subscription to Hotmail Plus auto-renewed and I started to consider what I was actually getting for my money so I visited http://billing.microsoft.com to find out. After some clicking around I stumbled across this:

image

Let’s break this down. For £14.99 per year I get:

• 10GB of storage (as far as I know normal Hotmail is to-all-intents-and-purposes unlimited)
  • No ads (Outlook.com hardly ever shows you ads now anyway and if they do they’re not the horrible banner ad type)
  • Feature tips and product info (Don’t remember ever getting feature tips and besides, I don’t think I’m in great need of them)
  • Larger attachments (I never send attachments anyway if I can help it and if I do Outlook.com’s allowance is both hefty and more than adequate)
  • Exemption from account expiration (I guess that might be useful were I ever to suffer from a near-fatal medical condition although if I did I suspect I’d have bigger worries on my plate than an expiring Hotmail account)

As such, thanks but no thanks. Cancelled. Thankfully the redesigned http://billing.microsoft.com makes that rather easy:

image

image

image

Are you still using Hotmail Plus? One word for you…Stop!

@Jamiet

About these ads

Written by Jamiet

October 9, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

13 Responses

1. When you unsubscribed, were you able to keep your old free hotmail email address/account or did you have to create a new one all over again?

Nessa

October 15, 2012 at 5:26 am

• Hi Nessa,
      Yes, my old address stayed as it was. Nothing else changed. I didn’t need to create a new account.

regards
      Jamie

Jamiet

October 15, 2012 at 4:08 pm

2. You made good points Jamie. I got my renewal notice today and was about to let it auto renew and started thinking exactly what you put in words. I don’t use those features and not sure why I subscribed some years ago to begin with. There are so many FREE services loaded with features it seems silly to pay Microsoft any more money.

Irv Miller

November 27, 2012 at 2:47 am

3. Hello Jamie, I want you ask you sth: I have lots of contacts in my list and at one mail I want to add all of them but Hotmail don’t allow all of them; every day I have to add 300 of them. Is there any advantage in Hotmail Plus about this problem.According to my search I couldn’t find any explantion about this.

Regards

Ceyda

ceyda isik

May 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm

• Hi Ceyda,
      No, I don’t believe Hotmail Plus can help you here.

regards
      Jamie

Jamiet

May 21, 2013 at 12:09 pm

• Ok thank you for your answer

ceyda isik

May 21, 2013 at 12:18 pm

4. Thanks you so much for the advice to end hotmail plus I had been automatically renewing subscription for years as I feared I would lose my email address !!!!
    Kept email address and no fees perfect !!!!

N Ward

May 26, 2013 at 8:20 am

5. Hello,
    I want to stop paying ¢34.40 a year for “Microsoft Hotmail plus” they take that money on my credit card every years. I don’t know how to stop that. Did someone can tell me how i can do to cancel that?
    Thanks!

Nathalie

Nathalie Girard

June 11, 2013 at 8:44 pm

6. Hi Jamie – thanks for the info here. I’ve got the opposite problem. I have ‘normal/old’ Hotmail (which became Outlook along the way). Today I went to add one more local folder, and I got a message that said I couldn’t add any more folders. So, I want more STORAGE space and the ability to add more FOLDERS for storage. It’s impossible to figure out how to do that!

My husband has an account that costs $14/year and gives him a lot more storage. Do you know how I ADD Hotmail Plus? And, do you know if it will allow me to add more folders and give me more storage than my free version of Hotmail?

thanks!
    jackie

jackie

October 20, 2013 at 6:06 pm

• Hi Jackie,
      I’m not aware that there is a limit to the number of folders that an account can have but clearly there is one. I’m certain that Hotmail Plus won’t help here I’m afraid.

JT

Jamiet

October 20, 2013 at 7:34 pm

7. Jamie, you saved my money. I am grateful to you.

Raven Hawkings

November 19, 2013 at 4:36 pm

• Howdoo
      The only other advantage that I dont think has been mentioned is
      if like me, someone hacks your account, you are basically at the end of a line of 2 million people trying to get customer support to reclaim your account.
      I have been trying without success for a week to get some help, and from what I have read, I will probably never get my email back, all gone, goodbye everything.
      i would gladly pay $15 per year to be able to call someone to address this problem, if you are subscribed I believe this is possible, but because I am using basic free hotmail service there is basically no support available.
      Just thought I would tell ya.
      cheers and I hope you can tell me something to the contrary

Chris merrifield